Radiation Exposure Screening & Education Program

RESEP provides no cost medical screening exams to facilitate early detection and treatment of cancer and other health issues associated with radiation exposure from mining, milling and transporting uranium and assists individuals that were affected by the fallout of the Nevada nuclear test sites during the 1950s and early 1960s. The program also provides free claims assistance to eligible individuals who are filing a RECA claim for compensation through the Department of Justice. The Department of Justice will not accept any Downwinder claims after this date, unless Congress decides to extend the deadline. RESEP is a grant funded program from the Human Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).

For more information about RESEP or to see if you qualify, call 928.522.9427. You can also email

Am I eligible for a no cost medical screening exam?

RESEP is dedicated to helping individuals who were exposed to radiation from nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site. North Country HealthCare RECA eligible area_Arizona provides medical screening exams to eligible “Downwinders” who lived in northern Arizona between 1951 and 1958 or during the month of July 1962:

“Downwind” Eligible Counties:

  • Apache
  • Coconino
  • Gila
  • Navajo
  • Yavapai
  • Mohave (north of the Grand Canyon)

How do I schedule a screening?

Medical screening exams are available at several North Country locations. You must call our office to schedule your appointment with a medical provider.

To schedule a screening, call 928.522.9427. You can also email

Screening services include:

  • physical exam
  • urine dip test
  • blood work
  • Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT)
  • depression screening

Please note that RESEP will initially bill your primary insurance, if applicable. Any remaining balance will be paid for by RESEP, so you will not be billed for the services. If this presents a problem for you, you may contact our program to make other arrangements.

What is the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA)?

Radiation Exposure Compensation Act

On October 15, 1990, Congress passed the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act to aid thousands of individuals that were adversely affected by the mining, transport, and processing of uranium and the testing of nuclear weapons for the nation’s Cold War arsenal. This act provides compensation as an apology to individuals who developed certain cancers and other serious diseases related to nuclear weapons testing and uranium mining.

NOTE: If the affected individual is deceased, a surviving family member can apply for compensation.

Compensation Categories

  • Downwinders – $50,000
  • Uranium Miners – $100,000
  • Uranium Millers – $100,000
  • Ore Transporters – $100,000
  • On-Site Participants – $75,000

Eligibility Criteria

To qualify for compensation, an individual must have been exposed to radiation and developed a compensable disease. Below, you will find the eligibility criteria for the “Downwinders” category. If you were a uranium miner, miller, or ore transporter, or if you worked on-site with nuclear detonations, please contact our office for further details.

“Downwinder” Eligibility

An individual that resided in an eligible county of northern Arizona between 1951 and 1958 or during the month of July 1962.

Eligible Counties:

  • Apache
  • Coconino
  • Gila
  • Navajo
  • Yavapai
  • Mohave (north of the Grand Canyon)

The individual must have been diagnosed with one of the following eligible cancers:

  • Leukemia (other than chronic lymphocytic leukemia)
  • Multiple Myeloma
  • Lymphomas (other than Hodgkin’s Disease)
  • Primary cancer of the:
Lung Small Intestine Brain
Thyroid Pancreas Colon
Female Breast Bile Ducts Ovary
Male Breast Gall Bladder Pharynx
Esophagus Salivary Gland Liver (except if cirrhosis or  Hepatitis B is indicated)
Stomach Urinary Bladder

How do I file a RECA claim?

If you believe you are eligible to file a claim, contact our office by calling 928.522.9427. You can also email  We provide free claims assistance.

To file a claim, you must:

  • Provide documentation or proof of a compensable disease
  • Provide documentation of residence in an eligible area during the specified time period
  • Provide documentation of identification, which may include birth certificates, marriage licenses, divorce decrees, etc.
  • Complete and submit the appropriate RECA claim form. (To download a claim form, please click on the Department of Justice website link below.)

Additional Resources:

Recent News

A 2019 study found migraines to be the leading cause of disability among women under 50. The Global Burden of Disease study identified headache disord …

In recognition of Nation Smoking Cessation Month, we’re sharing tips to help you quit tobacco for good. November is National Smoking Cessation Month, …

North Country HealthCare joins the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH), the member organization for all 50 State Offices o …

Subscribe For Updates
© 2019 North Country HealthCare